Sunday, May 17, 2009

My new home for the next six weeks: The French coast.

I feel like I haven't slept in nearly three days . . . which is probably due to the fact that I haven't slept in nearly three days, with exception for those variable 30 minute to a hour power naps that I've been surviving off of. The last I wrote it was the beginning of finals week, nearing the end of the semester. Now the semester is over, I've packed up life and gear needed for my six week stay on the coast of France in Villefranche-sur-Mer. After finally arriving, spending most of the day moving into the small coastal villa my colleagues and I are renting for the summer, I feel completely drained. The house is quaint, too small for the eight people that are now living in it, but homey. I'll post pictures as soon as possible. Since I still haven't bothered to unpack most of my luggage, my camera is still lost somewhere in the middle of one of my suitcases.

Tomorrow we'll get to work, survey the site, compile materials, etc. Our study site is quite few miles away, offshore, so it will be quite a ride out on the boat to get there. Anyways, France is lovely, as usual. My French is still quite rough (even after all of those vigorous lessons), but nonetheless I'm the best speaker so I have to translate for my coworkers quite a bit, which is going to become a hassle. For now, I'm going to put on a pot a tea, and settle in for a nice long nap . . . the dark circles settling under my eyes are most unbecoming.

No comments: