Sunday, January 4, 2009

What the Hell is an Aquagem?

My fingers are swollen. Why? I spent all morning and afternoon knitting . . . and most of last night as well. I've made three pairs of mittens and watched about a million bad films, listened to some some great orchestral chamber music, and downed at least a full bottle of wine while making them.

I think I'm going to stop for the night and take an aspirin. Tomorrow I'm going to start on matching socks. I don't exactly know if people wear matching socks with their mittens but, I think I'm going to start. I think the color of yarn that I used are actually better suited to be worn on the feet rather than the hands . . . I mean really they're labeled names like "Fruity Fiesta," which is basically a vomiting of all the colors on the color wheel dyed in wool, "Berry Bonanza," which is series of blues and purples dyed into alpaca, and "Aquagem," which is this violent turquoise that should never be seen on a person's foot or hand dyed into an eco-cotton blend.

Hopefully by tomorrow my fingers will lose their swell so bending them won't be as painful . . . and maybe by then I'll be off this knitting buzz that I've thrown myself into. Maybe not. I've got a week left until the holidays end for me and I have to go back to work and classes and everything else (you know, those dreadful obligations), so I'm going to try do things that I wouldn't be able to do once everything picks up again.

Maybe I'll be ambitious and start reading through all those French novels I bought in Montreal.

Maybe not.

No comments: