Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Burial: Why People Drive at Night and End Up Stopping at Those Fluorescently Lit Diners With French Fries and Diet Cola.

Now with this musician, I am actually still sticking to the UKian theme, despite the fact that its no longer indie pop that's being discussed . . . it more like . . . electronica dance music. With this I can say that I don't exactly know how/why I went from indie pop to well, this, but I did. Truth be told, I'm not a huge electronica dance beat music kind of person . . . I don't really get into it. However, in writing about this I will try to be unbiased and everything. 

Therefore, I will use the easy simple metaphor in trying to describe my feelings towards this . . . the road trip mix metaphor. On the normal long haul road trip (equalling more than 24 hours of driving, with appropriate and properly planned and decided mixes . . . not like those ones that 16 year old girls make to drive around with their gal-pals when they get their first car . . . because we can all agree those kind of mixes totally . . . suck?) this would be placed at nighttime (because, it is dance music, duh, therefore equalling too abrasive for the morning and too timid for the afternoon) while driving down one of those outer city limits highways . . . that are moderately devoid of traffic, but since it's in the sprawling outskirt suburbs of the big city, the highway/interstate is still lined with the yellow and white light emitted from the torch-like lanterns hanging over the roadway . . . to make the scene better, I will apply a few other things to emphasize the mood (these are just add-ins that can't be anticipated when making a driving mix like this). Here for effect, the roadway would be slightly wet . . . moistened from an afternoon of misty rain, with the air still smelling slightly of humidity and rising gasoline and oil fumes . . . causing a slightly halo-ed affect due to the light cast by the overhead lanterns . . . and making the road lines hard to see, causing a late night stop right on the outskirts at some fluorescently lit diner serving french fries and diet cola . . . 

Okay, so I might have let myself get carried away . . . but what I just describe is the exact mood of this music . . . and as always try it out if you don't believe me . . . meanwhile look at some pictures to let it soak in. 



So, I should go now . . . and you know, let it sink in some more . . . because I doubt it fully has still. 

No comments: