Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Classes Canceled, Alarm Clocks, and My NREM: Why I Wish I Could Be Like a Normal Human Being and Go To Sleep.

I don't know what I'm going to do. As if becoming a habit, my current sleeping patterns refuse to realign and play nice. This has been happening for a while now . . . you know the story . . . I finally get zapped out by a sleeping pill at midnight and then once two or maybe three a.m. rolls around I'm back at awake and ready to roll. By the time I eventually pass out again around 5 a.m., there is only an hour or two left of good sleep before I have to wake up again. However, my problem arises there . . . because somewhere between 5 and 7 o'clock I go into this deep comatose state, that only seems to be awoken with the help of four alarms and a sound knock on my backside from John. Oh, really, I don't know what I'm going to do.

I went to the doctor, and he told me that everything seemed fine. Ha. I don't feel fine. I feel like somebody tied me to the train tracks and I'm fighting to find my way off of them before the train comes and lobs my head off and dismembers the essence of my being. However, I don't think it would be quite appropriate to tell a doctor such things, so I just nod my head and take the pieces of white scribbled paper he hands me.

Then, as usual, I get a day like today. I fell asleep around midnight and I woke up at around 2 a.m. and fell back into sleep around 4 a.m. Two hours later my third alarm begins to go off and I'm still passed out without even hearing it. At some point a very sleepy and annoyed John rolls over and turns it off while somehow shaking me awake. I wake up and get ready to go. On some whim, I end up checking my computer before I leave, only to find out that classes were canceled. At this point, any normal person would shirk off their clothes and crawl back into bed for a couple more hours of sleep. I remained awake despite the extreme pull upon my body begging for rest.

In the end I ended up waking John (again) as well. He made breakfast. It was as good as it could be, for being a 7 a.m. morning with the snow falling outside and while the rest of the world is cozy in their beds. I was just wishing I could do the same.

No comments: