Saturday, April 18, 2009

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I cant get no relief.

Well, I'm not in the best of moods. I just got back from backpacking down south and am thoroughly sunburned. Being the type of person I am, forgetful and all, I forgot my bottle of sunscreen (and incidentally my bottle of aloe as well), and as it would happen I was camping/hiking in a region seemingly devoid of life, so I thought naught of driving the 20-30 mile distance to get some. I should have made the drive, thinking now, as I aspect the spreading red whelp-like areas covering my shoulders, arms, legs, and feet. Luckily, I thought to bring a hat, so my face was spared. 


The hiking was great. I took the break as I chance to be alone, without worrying about being bothered by colleagues at work or John at home. After my last post on Wednesday I went back into the lab, finished my work for the week. Then, quite rashly and without plan, I left town. I didn't need to pack because I still had all and any gear in my car, from the trips down to the Gulf (apparently though I removed the sunscreen from vehicle, how thoughtless). This rashness of course sent John into a tizzy when I never came home, but he's gotten over it. 

I just had to got out of there. Leave town for a bit to grab a hold of my bearings. The hiking did the job. There's something about standing cliff side, overlooking a ridge that puts life into perspective. Of course, there's also something about sleeping on the rocky ground and playing at being neighbors with the local wildlife that puts life into perspective as well. 


Anyways, I should go and catch some sleep. Tomorrow I need to get around to caring more about the will of things in the garden. If the weather turns out nice, by the middle of May I'll be planting in beds the beginnings of my strawberry patch that I've already started from seed. Also the greenhouse is yielding for me some tomatoes, peppers, a variety of herbs and spices, and not to mention a fortitude of berry plants. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. 

2 comments:

mgi said...

There are many here among us who think that life is but a joke.

Great pics!

Eve said...

Thanks!