Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Oxford Illustrated History of Western Philosophy: I've Read It Before.

I'm in the airport waiting for my flight thirty minutes. I'm watching all the other people . . . walking around . . . standing around . . . chasing after their out-of-control children. The guy sitting next to me is reading a book on Western Philosophy. He's on the section entitled "Descartes to Kant" and is currently reading the about Leibniz and his logic as it relates to free will. I was reading over his shoulder . . . kind of creepy, I know . . . but really, airports are kind of creepy places. 

2 comments:

mgi said...

das ding an sich. i like you - anyways. objective, subjective - intersubjective - what is a thing anyway -

Eve said...

Heh. Thanks. You reminded me of Kierkegaard, "I exist as a concrete and freely choosing agent: this along is certain, and all truth is subjectivity. There can be no answer in the riddle of existence-- to the question why I exist-- except in the exercise of choice."

Thought provoking.