Monday, September 8, 2008

Of Montreal: Pretty Pictures and Pseudo-Dance Music = The Makings of Catchy, Trendy, Pyschodelic, Bee-Boppy Happiness Via Sound.

Yeah, I bet you didn't expect that the first artist mentioned would be Of Montreal, for the second time in a row . . . and so to make this more interesting I'm going to go in more depth I suppose, than just the bland comments of how I think Of Montreal is dance music of those either of many persuasions, those mainly being 1) too lazy, 2) horrible dancing skills, or 3) a combination of those previously mentioned. Of course, most of these comments pertain to the later works of Of Montreal, or one might be daring enough to say Kevin Barnes since he wrote and recorded all the music himself and well . . . Of Montreal just kind of became his "backing band" . . . but whatever. 

Anyways, I have a most of their albums:

The Bedside Drama A Petite Tragedy

The Gay Parade
Coquelicot Asleep In The Poppies: A Variety Of Whimsical Verse
Satanic Panic In The Attic
Adhils Arboretum


Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Skeletal Lamping
The Sunlandic Twins
Horse & Elephant Eatery (No Elephants Allowed): The Singles and Songles Album
The Early Four Track Recordings
If He Is Protecting Our Nation, Then Who Will Protect Big Oil, Our Children?


Icons, Abstract Thee
The Bird Who Continues to Eat the Rabbit's Flower

I used to have a couple others, like Cherry Peel (their first album) and a couple other EP's, but they somehow got lost . . . probably during translation after a computer crash or something . . . I'm not too worried though because I think I have enough to keep myself busy. Oh, and yeah, I know that at this time Skeletal Lamping has not yet been released . . . so don't ask how I got it (my brother) . . . uh, yeah.

So anyways, I do thoroughly enjoy listening to this kind of stuff . . . it's catchy . . . and well, they do pull off one hell-of-a live show . . . especially when Mr. Barnes is acting all alter-ego glam-rock. 


No comments: