Friday, April 11, 2008

We Took the Home Buying Plunge: Why I Have Been Lacking the Past Couple of Weeks with My Post Writing.

It's been awhile. BUT! I have good reason for staying away so long (at least I think it's a good reason.) We're moving, John and I. We finally found us that perfect house in the suburbs, where we can have a white picket fence, tire swing and if we're lucky due to the close proximity of each house, a nice peek into the neighbors living quarters . . . I'm actually joking, if you can't tell, about the house in the suburbs, because I kind of loathe the 'burbs. We will actually be moving out of our flat in the city, to a humble abode in the country. We got a great deal on the house (which was to die form, and was actually the only reason we bought the property, the 15 acres that came with it was just a bonus . . . And yes, I do realize that 15 acres isn't much, but its more than the 5 or less that you get in the 'burbs.)

We're moving in next weekend . . . well kind of. We're going to wait until the end of the month, to "officially" leave the flat. Actually we could be moving in this weekend, but there are a few minor repairs that we're going to do before the "move." The first thing is to paint the walls . . . all of the walls. It's quite a big place, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, two-story with an attic . . . So, we have quite a bit a space, and quite a bit of walls, that need a fresh coat of paint, as they are currently this fading shade of yellowish white.

The next tasks after that, which should be finished tomorrow (started painting on Thursday, and tomorrow I'll be touching everything up,) is that we're going to gut out the shag carpet and replace it with hardwood flooring and then also we're going to gut out the kitchen, lay some new tile for the floors and counter tops and replace all the appliances. We're also re-tiling the bathroom floors and counters.

All these "repairs" are going to cost a bit but, the way we figured it is, that we might as well do them now, while we can afford it, than wait until later, or never, when we might not have an opportunity to do such extensive repairs. We're paying for this mostly with my mother's life insurance money that I received after her death, which I think she would appreciate. I haven't spent any of it, since receiving it more than a year ago, and she would appreciate it, being spent on something tactful rather than frivolous. The way we calculated all of our expenses, we'll actually still have quite a bit of money left over to go towards paying off the home loan. John and his friends, are going to be doing the repairs themselves, as he and some of his buddies used to work in the "home repair" industry. I trust them enough to know what they're doing. But, I'm going to be tiling, because I can actually do this, as I have before.

Anyways, I better go. They want to finish by the weekend (which isn't going to happen . . . as I keep telling them) so they're making me wake up early early, to get started. They went and bought/picked up all the supplies (the flooring, the tiles, the grout, the nails (as we opt for the real-hardwood, rather than the fake stuff) last night and tonight and took them out to the property already.

Ah, gee. I suppose I should say now that I can't wait until the morning? Really.

1 comment:

Eve said...

I'd just like to comment and say, that after waking up at 5 am this morning and driving out to the new home, John and his friends are finally done with the flooring on the first floor, and are halfway done with the upstairs! I'm waiting for the grout to dry on the tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms . . . I'll update this all in a real post when I get the time. For now, you'll just have to deal with a comment.