Monday, January 21, 2008

Oh Yeah, She's Losing It.

Today, Essex Green is gone from my play list and I and since switched to Belle & Sebastian. I'm in one of those pure and innocent kind of moods and well, that is what Belle & Sebastian is for me, pure and innocent, which in all cases I know it is completely untrue but I like to to make myself believe it. Right now I'm onto their album "The Life Pursuit" and previously I was listening to "The Boy with the Arab Strap" and next it is going to be "Tigermilk. Whoo. Who. I found this cartoon online depicting lines from on of their songs. Its really kind of cute.

In other news, I finished Running with Scissors. I don't understand the hype. It was a quick read and had some good moments but also some particularly bad moments. I would never good as far to call it good literature or anything. After I finished that last night, I picked up the better Burroughs this morning and started to page my way through Junky: The Definitive text of "Junk." Its an easy enough read and because its written more as a personal narrative, it makes it better to understand. I also don't think that he uses his cut-up method for this either . . . which in some ways is a loss but in others its a plus.


In some ways I kind of find it lacking that certain spark that his novels like Naked Lunch and The Soft Machine and The Ticket that Exploded had. They just were so . . . inspiring in their crazy convoluted style. I am the only person among my group of friends that particularly cares for Burroughs. They're all Jack Kerouac kind of people when it comes to the Beats. I on the other hand would put Burroughs before Kerouac any day. He has so much more promise to me and everything takes a second look to understand. Kerouac is less convoluted, easier to intake, and then coated with pretty passages with "deeper" meanings. He's too transcendental, too Thoreau. If I wanted to read something that sounded like Walden I would have read Walden not Walden under a different title with a subtext of drugs, sex, and everything else that came with the Beat Generation.

But, whatever.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: