Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lying in Bed, Empanadas, and Nietzschian Philosophy: Why the Air Feels so Fresh.

After last Thursday's incident of unusually warm weather for the season, the temperature took a turn for the worst. The skies became clouded and the sun left (for warmer areas I suppose) leaving behind the chills of flurried snow and 5 degree weather. To suit such a day, I am lying in bed (the guest bed in one of the spare bedrooms, which, as of late, I've become accustomed to sleeping in for whatever reason . . . I think it makes me feel adventurous) comforted by the warmth of the covers and the soft glow emitted from the bedside lamp. 


I've spent the morning and afternoon reading more philosophy. Of course, all natural sense would tell me to finally dive into those French philosophical novels I picked up in Montreal, however, sense does not seem to apply to my reading choices (at least not for today). I've chosen a good standby, which in this instance is not Hesse (who can usually fill every circumstance with reading joy), but instead, I've gone with a little Nietzsche. For some reason I find that his works have a sort of . . . depth (so to speak) that fits dreary days (such as these). 

I'm currently working through "Uber Wahrheit und Luge im aussermoralischen Sinn" which titled in English is "On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense." It basically deals with the theoretical questions of truth and such as it is . . . making it quite and interesting read. If I finish it by this evening I'm going to start "Die Geburt der Tragodie aus dem Geiste der Musik," which in the English version is titled "The Birth of Tragedy" and it introduces his thoughts on the dichotomy of the Apollonian and Dionysian (I know, it's a little intense). 

On a lighter note, I made some great empanadas for lunch/dinner. They turned out nice. I'm not usually into Spanish food (peppers kind of unnerve me) but for some reason I had this awful urge for it . . . and today it turned out that the urge didn't lead me astray as the empanada were great. 


Well, for now I am going to go back to reading. I'd like to spend the rest of the day without a thought about the coming work week ahead, but I know that that isn't possible, so I will just try to push it as far out of my head as possible. Oh, I've also gotten over my Elf Power fixation. Today, I put on some Golden Smog . . . which for now it just as good.  

2 comments:

Gin said...

I wonder why I've never visited before if that's your guest room. Looks comfy. It's a far cry away from the days of our youth at that coldwater flat when a "guest room" was a worn futon that wouldn't unfold.

Anyways, you should start reading some of those French novels. The best are those of Bergson and Diderot (I believe you picked up some by each). They're quite, enlightening. And of course, French!

A bientôt!

Eve said...

Ça va ?

I finally rid myself of that old futon during the move . . . donated it to something or another. John was quite disappointed, since it was his favorite place to nap (for some reason).

I got as far as opening a Diderot novel, saw the confusion of French phrase, and shut it. I believe it was Jacques le fataliste et son maître . . . the other one I have is Les bijoux indiscrets. Anyways . . . I'll get around to reading them at some point . . . maybe.

A tout à l'heure!