Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sleater-Kinney, Noam Chomsky, and a Dozen Baked Goods: Why I Found Myself Awake at Three A.M. Popping Roasted Chicken Out of My Oven.

This weekend I have found myself in one of those, angry girl moods, and therefore decided to satisfy my repression by turning the music on Sleater-Kinney because . . . well, they fit the mood. I've also been having problems with my sleep patterns lately (my sleeping pills don't seem to be working anymore) and I've found that at 3 in the morning Sleater-Kinney works. Not that it puts me to sleep or anything, but it, works that magic and soothes . . . makes me feel not to crazy for pulling out the kettle and putting some tea on . . . or pulling out the chicken I bought at the market the previous day and roasting it, like I did this morning at 3 o'clock.



I was having one of those cravings. I cooked some pasta and made a broccoli and cream white sauce. In the dessert category, I managed to finish a batch of snicker doodle cookies and two cakes, one chocolate and the other vanilla, before 8 o'clock this morning. Once finished, I rung John up and told him to find his way over because there was no way that I would be able to eat all of the food without vomiting profusely. He got here at about 9 o'clock . . . it didn't take him long since I mentioned cake and cookies . . . really who could refuse?



We watched some movies. I read my book, Failed States . . . after my Ginsberg kick I found y way back to it. Its still pretty intense . . . a lot of . . . words . . . and facts . . . supplemented by more words. But, I'm pulling my way through it, just like I pulled my way through all the other Chomsky's that I read before it. It's just going to take awhile.



There is one sure thing, though, whenever I read Chomsky I always find a way to fall asleep, sleeping aids working or not. I passed out about ten pages after I began reading, whether it was influenced by pure exhaustion or the words I was reading, I'll never know.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: