Monday, November 19, 2007

Smog: How I Remembered That I Really Hated The LAX And Really Loved Those Fluffy White Pillows.

I got back from LA at 10:00 last night. There were a whole bunch of delays at the airport and I had this crazy layover in Denver. I don't know what cause the delays, but I am supposing that it was this thick smoggy, foggy, cloud layer that was laying low over the city. Once the plane went up through it, it looked like gray snow from above, laying peacefully on the ground below with the little peaks of mountainous ridges pushing through. It was kind of beautiful . . . at least until I remember that it wasn't fog but smog.

The airport was just as I remembered it: crazy, dirty, crazy. I was almost glad to get out of their and then onto the plane. Or at least I was until I found out the the plane was packed. Then I took back all of my wishes. Ugh, now I am just sleepy. That two hour time difference took its toll on me. I met up with some other colleagues from the region that I had congregated with in the past, and they were going on and on about going to this place and that place. I finally just had to say "Hey, I've gotta go. Your midnight is my 2 am and I can't handle that right now." Good thing they didn't put up a fight or I would've had to pull out my mean-tired-side.

And, oh, the HOTEL . . . better known as the Kingdom in the Clouds. I have never slept in a bed like that in all of my life. As a po' girl, I sleep in the wagon if I'm on an over night trip . . . the seats fold down . . . or if I really have to I'll go to one of those mold-on-the-walls-bugs-in-the-showers kind of cheap cheap motels. This was not a "cheap cheap motel." This was one those revolving-gold-door-bellhop-in-the-foyer-feather-pillow kind of hotels. The bed was so cushy. I just wanted to wrap myself up in those fluffy white sheets and die (in the good sense).

Hmm . . . I guess I should say something about the lectures and whatnot, but there wasn't anything of interest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

. . .

I hope you had an awesome time in LA. I'm glad you're back and that you didn't die from smog inhalation . . . or from too much comfort with that nice bed.

Eve said...

. . . I think I did get a bit of a sore throat. Ha.